Monday, October 27, 2008

Religion, Science Fiction, Etc.

Religion plays a big part in my life. I am an unpaid, ordained minister. I manage my own company to help pay the bills and do my ministering during my spare time. While I guess I could get paid doing this, I feel that following the command of Jesus Christ, "You received free, give free" (Matthew 10:8) is a little too important.

God has not always played a major role in my mind. At one time I believed in God but did nothing about it. I didn't care. After God became too big to ignore did I decide to give my life to Him, through Jesus Christ my Lord. (John 14:6) I realize that even though I am a sinner and at some points feel that I am not good enough for God to accept me, I realize that what Jeremiah told us when he was lamenting the fall of Jerusalem to the Babylonians is so true and plays a big part in my life. He said, "It is the acts of loving-kindness of Jehovah that we have not come to our finish because his mercies will certainly not come to an end. They are new each morning. Your faithfulness is abundant."-Lamentations 3:22-23

Now, I have to remember, (and I am planning on writing these down and putting them on my computer) that Paul's words in Romans 6:1-2, 1 Thessalonians 4:7-8, and Hebrews 10:26-31 are true--and very serious. I have to be very careful not to sin. I, unlike many people, have decided not to tell myself that since God is good he will forgive my sins no matter what. It will get to the point where "there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left" if I keep "trampl[ing] upon the Son of God" and view "as of ordinary value the blood of the covenant by which [I] was sanctified." (Hebrews 10:26, 29) Sin is a very serious thing, and while our sins can be washed clean by the blood of the lamb, it can only go so far.

Before I became settled in my particular beliefs, I studied many different religions, one of which was Mormonism. While studying Mormonism (my best friend was a Mormon) I was introduced to one of the greatest book series of all time, "The Ender Quartet". I was re-reading "Children of the Mind" and realized that Ender Wiggin would be a Mormon, just like his mother Theresa. He said in "Children" (or perhaps "Xenocide") that true gods would love us so much that they would try to teach us how to be just like them. I couldn't believe that I hadn't caught that phrase the other three times I read the book. That is one statement by Ender that I cannot agree with. We cannot become like God. "Before me there was no God formed and after me there continued to be none" is pretty clear to me.-Isaiah 43:10

This is my first blog. Sure, I was once a member of MySpace and used the blog service, but that was only for posting short stories that I wrote. I plan to use this for personal thoughts, observations, and random ramblings. I can only say, stick around, you might be surprised.